Sunday, May 11, 2014

First ER visit

Looking back... We might have jumped the gun. Thankfully, this story had a happy ending. 

Sunday, April 27, at around 2 o'clock, he woke up from his nap with rosy cheeks and sweating. I had a gut feeling he had a fever, but with plans of going to our first beach trip of the season, I prayed he was just warm from sleeping with his blanket too long. I took his temperature (which he still hates to do) and it was 102.3. We gave him some Tylenol with hopes it would bring it down quickly. 

We took him for a golf cart ride instead and even convinced him into a Popsicle and some ice cream. He was still pretty warm and once we got home his temperature was 101.8ish.  Shortly after that, he fell asleep on the couch, laying on me, for over an hour. As he slept, he started really burning up!!! He was sweating and still had red cheeks. We started to become really concerned so we checked his temperature again. 102.3. We called Kirby's mom and she said to watch it closely and if it went to 103 to take him to the ER. I think I had the same thoughts in my head too, but didn't think it would get to that. 

Only about an hour went by when he woke up with a fever of 103.5. So we gave him some Tylenol and quickly (and as calmly as we could) gathered everything up and drove to the ER.  Once we got into the car and started driving, my brain started going crazy! And our poor boy was pitiful looking. Yes. I cried.

Kaden doesn't think much of doctors so when he realized where we were he got pretty mad. They made him take his clothes off since he was so warm and hooked him up to the heart rate monitor (he thought it was the scoreboard at a basketball game, so he kept saying "buzzer beater")  They tried to calm him down by telling him it was just like a Band aid... wrong idea for our buddy.  He hates Band aids!  They checked him over and saw no other symptoms so we just had to wait for the ibuprofen to kick in and see if his temperature went down.  Within an hour or so of watching videos on the iPad it went down to 100.5 and we were able to leave the hospital.

We were told to keep an eye on the temperature and we'd probably start seeing other symptoms in the next few days.  They offered him a Popsicle and at 10:00pm, 3 hours after bedtime, he was a happy camper working on his 3rd wind.

Fever went down after about 3 days, but he was still battling the other symptoms almost a week later. We are grateful for a fairly "easy" first trip to the ER.  However, I do NOT want to go back again any time soon and I'm pretty sure Kaden would agree.  He ended up being out of daycare 4 days and went back Friday.  However, his fingers were slammed in an exterior door and I was called to come pick him up.  So he ended up missing a whole week of daycare.  That's another story for another post though...


Mateya said...

Glad he turned out ok, but still scary! And poor guy with his fingers too...what a rough week!

basebell6 said...

Oh no, poor little thing! Hope he is all healed up!

Unknown said...

God, it's awful when the little ones get sick, it just makes one feel so helpless. My lg first got sick when she was 6 months old, it it was awful, they don't really understand why they feel so bad in this age, you cant explain to them why you torture them with medications..