Friday, March 29, 2013


That's what my students said when I told them Kaden was sick Wednesday morning. 
I stayed home with him Tuesday because he was running a low-grade fever and was really fussy.  As soon as Kirby got home from school, I ran to the store to pick up some things to make for dinner that night with Alex and Justin.  While I was gone, Kirby said Kaden had a big diarrhea-ish blow out (I won't go into details, but it wasn't "normal").  I started to worry a bit, but tried not to think much about it too much.  Not too far into dinner, Kaden threw up.... a lot.  Scared the crap out of us (more me, I think).   So we calmed him down, cleaned him up and took his temperature again.  It was 100.5.  After lots of extra cuddles and love, he went to bed for the night.  He woke up several times during the middle of the night though, uncomfortable and hungry.  We took his temperature again (poor guy hates getting the thermometer now) and it was 102.  Highest it's ever been.  Scared us again. 

We took him to the doctor Wednesday morning.  Diagnosis- stomach bug.  Temperature normal.  Nothing to do, but run its course.  And that, it is.  Back at home today, his temperature is back up to 102.9 and he had his biggest blowout to date.  As I was giving him some medicine, I felt something warm on my stomach.  It didn't take long for me to realize (probably the horribly foul odor gave it away) that Kaden was poopoing all over me!  We quickly stuck him in the sink and waited until he was finished to take his diaper off and take a bath. (Those are the horrible stories you hear about parenting... we finally understand it first hand.)


Thursday, I stayed home with him again and when he woke up he seemed to be acting his normal self.  It wasn't much after lunchtime though, when we had another episode of throwing up and some more diarrhea.  Thankfully, Kirby surprised us and left school early after teaching his first class, so he was here to help out.  It was definitely a job for two... that's for sure!  We gave him some medicine, pedialyte, and lots of love, and he finally woke up seeming to be a little better this morning.
I hope I didn't speak too soon.
Hopefully with almost 2 weeks at home with Mom and Dad (and no daycare germs) we can get him healthy again.


Brianna Tucker said...

Aww poor little guy. My little sister was sick for like 2 weeks too. She had a stomach bug then an ear infection then a UTi from all the Diahrria. Finally she is better.
But he does look so precious in the sink!

Jess Norden said...

Oh my fun for anyone!! We haven't experienced this yet, but I know it will happy! At least he's a cutie ;)

Kyndal said...

Bless his sweet heart. There's nothing that hurts a momma's heart worse than watching her baby suffer. Praying that he's back to 100% soon!