CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, January 1, 2012

nuts and bolts...

As per request from one of our readers (sorry ladies, another manly post), here's a little build write-up on our latest vehicle...

I told myself the only way I'd buy another FJ Cruiser was if I messed around with it a bit.  Nothing too major, just enough to have a little fun turning some wrenches, bust up a few knuckles, get dirty, and change things up some.  First item of business was installing a Daystar 3" lift/leveling kit.  What was supposed to take about 4 hours to install, ended up taking about 10 hours as I misinterpreted one simple direction for the front suspension components and ended up installing it "the hard way".  Next up was a set of 18" XD Rockstar wheels and Nitto Mud Grappler tires.  Not a fan of the way the center cap stuck out and the bling-bling look of the chrome star, I cut off the posts so it would sit flush with the wheel, and painted the star flat black.  Next, I cut and modified the roof rack so it would work well for surfboards, then added new Quiksilver pads, as my old Dakine ones were in need of replacing.  After that came a set of All-Pro rock sliders (or what I like to refer to as "baby King protectors").  They came as raw welded steel tubing.  After spending a couple hours filing off random steel spurs and weld beads and prepping them, I painted them, then cut out some non-slip grip tape to put on for them to also be used as side steps.  Since the new tires stuck out past the fenders, I finished things off by installing a set of Bushwacker fender flares. 

All that's left now is finding the right baby seat :)

Before...



After...












No comments: